Monday, May 4, 2009

Sand patrol


When the weather forecasters were predicting a stormy Sunday with 2 inches of rainfall, my friend Kelli and I canceled our beach plans.... and then I woke up to a very unexpected but very beautiful day on the Oregon Coast! So I quickly contacted Kell Bell and the plans were spontaneously rescheduled! Kelli is my longest friend (we met at the ripe old ages of 2 and 1), we grew up across the street from each other. She brought her two boys, Nate and Ian, down for a visit and I was so excited to see how easily my boys and her boys play together. We wanted to dig some clams, but unfortunately it wasn't a good tide for it - they were only showing in the surf. Since we didn't want to get soaking wet, we let Ronny do the digging and he managed to find a meal! He also found a shrimp which he brought over for the kids to admire (above).

The kids took turns flying Nate's awesome dragon kite, feeding the seagulls, building sandcastles, and Kelli's son Nate even witnessed a bald eagle diving down for a fish he had been inspecting that was washed up on the beach! Kell and I thought he was confusing a seagull for an eagle until we looked up in the sky and saw it for ourselves! Not many people get to witness that from a few feet away, that's for sure. Kelli's got a great post about our day together on her blog at http://www.dkni.blogspot.com/


Elie is becoming quite the clam cooker. After the last few weeks of excellent clam digging, between Ronny and I we have ten meals in the freezer ready to go for clam bakes! Ronny cleans the clams, and Elie helps me bread them - then in the freezer they go! I love to see that Elie (at least so far) is not the squeamish type. I'll dig up a clam, she shouts "I found one!", picks it up and puts it in her bucket. Even when I mistake a sandcrab hole for a clam hole and dig up the alien looking little digger she picks him right up, with his little legs flailing, and takes him to the water so he can dig back in. Even I won't pick him up!

No comments: