Mad Science
Cameron's turning 8 years old! This year, he came up with his party theme all on his own - science. I was immediately excited, my brain flashing images of molecules for decorations made out of styrofoam balls and straws, lab coats and glasses for the kids, science projects, and basically transforming our home into the "Wright Laboratory". Just the week after Cameron decided this, Family Fun magazine had a spread on how to throw a science party with awesome ideas and information. I found an invitation on etsy where I could use the periodic table elements to spell out Cameron's name.... on and on and on.
Then, I stumbled across Mad Science in my web searching, and found this place in Portland specializing in science presentations and parties. How perfect. Cameron was immediately excited about that possibility. When I mentioned it to Ronny he was excited, too - but we both were concerned about the cost. The only way we could swing it was if I were to spend absolutely NOTHING else on ANYTHING else. Even if we hired them to travel all the way out here, I would still be tempted to do decorations and food. So we made the decision to take the party to Portland to the Mad Science Laboratory.
It was seriously hard to restrain myself these past few weeks, a science party lends itself so easily to creativity. You'd think I'd be happy not to have to do anything party planning-wise, and it was relaxing, but I also love that kinda stuff. I didn't even buy a balloon! It made me realize that I am an "all or nothing" person - since I wasn't consumed by party planning, I almost forgot to send out invitations on time and ordered the cake last minute (Cameron explaining in minute detail to the baker exactly what he wanted on his cake down to the color of the letters).
It was totally worth it. The mad scientist started out by showing the kids how magicians actually use science for tricks. The kids got to make their own slime, learn about electricity, light diffusion, and polymers, ride on a hovercraft, and had a great time.
Cameron had all of his cousins, neighbors, and some extra special friends from Portland join him for his day. The newly crowned "Mad Scientist" has enough science equipment now to last until the next obsession!
No comments:
Post a Comment