Friday, August 24, 2012

Seafair

*This post is part of "Project Catch Up"
- a post a day until I'm caught up! Forgive me if they're out of order.... :)
One of Ronny's reps bought a fishing boat that was decommissioned during the government buy back program a few years ago.  After a lot of ongoing work he was able to get it up to Seattle where he lives and he is slowly converting it into a beautiful yacht.  He invited us to come up during Seattle's Seafair to come out on the boat and watch the Blue Angels fly over us.  How could we pass that up?
What a gorgeous day for it, too!  The only drawback to the day was that it was hot - TOO hot.  It was one of those unusual days in that even out on the water it was unbearable heat at times.  Ronny and the kids ended up jumping off the end of the boat about 8 feet into Lake Washington completely clothed just to cool off.  I was all for big bear hugs when they came back up!
We couldn't have had a better seat for the show.  The kids were decidedly unimpressed by the Blue Angels - maybe video games have desensitized kids to how cool they actually are.  Or maybe it was because they would only look up when they heard the engines, and of course by then the planes had passed.

 Either way, I had a wonderful time in one of my favorite areas of the country.  I have a love affair with Seattle - I think I must have lived there in a past life.
On the way back to the Mercer Island docks, we were treated to a tour of the Bellevue waterfront houses, including Mr. Bill Gates's abode (not pictured) while I fantacized about what that lifestyle must be like.

It was a fantastic day and then I had to go and ruin it by making Ronny stop at IKEA on the way home.  That place is hell on earth, I am not kidding.  By the time we made it through the entire store, we were so tired and so hungry we left without buying anything we had written down.  Ugh!  I guess that was probably a good thing in retrospect, but I'd rather have just not gone at all.  Lesson learned!

No comments: