Halloween has somehow turned into a holiday nearly as exhausting as Christmas. Don't get me wrong - I love Halloween, I just don't remember it being quite such a production (probably because I was young and only there for the fun, not the preparations!) Elie's dance school started off the week by having the kids wear costumes to dance class so she wore her spider princess costume there.
The boys put on last year's Mario and Luigi costumes and decided to try out the "hip hop" dance class. They loved it so I signed them up for the year. It's perfect timing, since soccer ended this week (and since basketball was a no go for both boys) - it'll be good to keep them moving.
Next, Grandma Wright hosted a pumpkin carving get together at her house. Elie wanted a kitty, Tyler wanted a bat like his cousin Gabbers, and Cameron decided on the lightning bolt to match the scar on his forehead as Harry Potter this year.
Cameron, Tyler, Elie, and our cousin Audrey decided they wanted to be Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny this year - all characters from the Harry Potter series. When I looked online at the price of "Gryffindor" scarves to go with each costume and it added up to $80+ I decided I'd rather spend the $8 on yarn and knit them up myself. I bought iron on Gryffindor patches from ebay and my mother in law helped me out by knitting two of the four scarves for me.... and we finished just in the nick of time.
The kids' school parties were the very next day and it turned into another marathon day for me (at least now I'm expecting it). I'm the game/activity mom for both classrooms' parties again this year so I had fun organizing that and making fun crafts with the kiddos at school. Elie got to come and join the Kindergarten class party.
The next morning we had the last of the boys' soccer games and the Halloween party at Grandma's golf club squat in the middle.
On Halloween, the whole family dressed up. Ronny was Professor Dumbledore, I was Professor McGonagall, Cameron was Harry Potter, Elie was Ginny Weasley, and Tyler was Ron Weasley.
We headed over to B's house a little later to pick up cousin Audrey (Hermione Granger) and begin the trick or treating!
We had a big group of kids thanks to B's new house being perfectly positioned for trick or treating. Living in a small coastal town has its pros and cons. Pro - many people own second homes here and pay property taxes to a school their children will never attend, but mine will. Con - many people own second homes here and aren't home on Halloween to trick or treat! But, B's new house is in the most populated neighborhood in our small town.
Ronny and I were fairly impressed with ourselves and the fact that the kids were bathed and in bed by 9:15 Halloween night - but not before a few treats. After all, that's what it's all about, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment