Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Break

Ronny and I decided to make like tourists on Spring Break and rent a surrey to ride around with the kids. The picture below is purely a token for proof that we made it all the way to the Cove and back.

We lucked out the first part of Spring Break with some great weather - but I still had a difficult time tearing the kids away from the video games..... I managed to, but I was on the outs with the boys big time. The next day we had a Zoo/Chuck E. Cheese playdate scheduled so I swung by Michael's craft store on the way home to be more prepared for the week.

After the first coat of paper mache Bunny Heads with all 3 kids, I decided to do the second coat after the kids' bedtime..... but I did let them paint the next day.
After my initial "WHAT WAS I THINKING" moments, I decided I really liked this project because it requires so many steps that it turned into a week long project with just a little to do each day. Besides, I don't think any store could have sold cuter decorations.
We also bedazzled fake Easter Eggs, folded crepe paper chicks, turned our napkins/silverware for Easter into "carrots", and for the finale we made our own chocolate Easter eggs. Mom's bunny head in the back will be a pinata for Easter day. By the way - absolutely NONE of these are my original ideas - thank you Family Fun magazine and Rosie O'Donnell for her craft book.
The chocolate egg project was pretty fun, but I was extremely thankful that I had waited until Ronny came home to do it with us. Trying to get all the colors melted correctly and keep them that way was difficult, the squeeze bottles kept busting at the seam making the chocolate squirt out the wrong places, and we had to have hot water around the kids to keep the chocolate melted so someone had to help monitor that. I think I might have literally lost my mind had I been alone! This project works better in theory than reality - but as Ronny said - the kids still had a blast doing it and we did manage to get a few chocolate eggs that turned out pretty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late with Easter comments but those two projects turned out awesome. Traci! You are soooooooo brave. Margie T.