Monday, October 5, 2009

Beautiful fall


There's something quiet about fall. The older kids are back in school and the neighborhood's not as noisy without the kids running around all day. The sun may still be hot, but it hangs lower in the sky - always making you feel as if it's close to evening time. You can hear the clicking of the grasshoppers and watch the ancient dragonflies. Many of the vegetables and flowers in the garden have given all they're going to give.

The "Indian summers" at the beach are part of what make living here so rewarding. The weather is beautiful and our gardens last a few weeks longer than many places. Above is a picture of what I pulled out of the garden tonight - my ingredients for a garden pizza, and tomorrow night - gyros with cucumber tzaziki sauce.

The pumpkins are about ready to be taken off the vine. At one point this summer I had 7 pumpkins going strong - now I only have 2 left. The slugs did a major number on them while we were away camping and they just didn't recover. I can count 5 more baby pumpkins out there right now that would have turned into beautiful, fat jack o' lanterns if they had started about 2 months ago. Luckily for us, Grandma Mac had a booming pumpkin crop this year and she's willing to share.

No comments: