The vegetables of our labors
Our vegetable garden is finally starting to explode and I'm enjoying it more than I ever realized I would. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll get orange pumpkins this year. We started the seeds inside almost twice as early as the packet says, but down here they need extra time to mature since our temperatures are so mild.
I am new to this hobby, so I'm constantly amazed how this big, beautiful tomato plant (or pea plant, or zucchini, etc.) grows from a tiny little seed! I get it now, the gardening thing - I never understood it when I was younger. I think it's even more rewarding starting from seeds rather than buying the starts.
As I had hoped, the kids are learning through the process and seem to be enjoying it as well. Several nights at the start of dinner, they run outside and yell, "I'm going harvesting!" to go pick pea pods or lettuce for me. They have planted sesame seeds from their burger buns and popcorn kernels hoping to watch them turn into something. Tyler turned into my bird watcher when we'd come out each morning to look for ripe strawberries only to find that the birds had eaten them (then we got netting). I dug up some of the carrots to thin them and Elie treated each tiny carrot like her newborn baby. We don't have many plans to be out of town this summer, so it's been a perfect summer to do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment