Monday, January 26, 2009

Sitka Spruce


We enjoyed the beautiful spring-like weather last week, and tried to take full advantage of it before we're house bound again. Grandma Mac arrived back home from a few weeks in Hawaii and we all went out to the creek where the oldest Giant Sitka Spruce used to be - before it was knocked down by last year's hurricane. I still think we should name that storm "Sitka Storm" - I wanna start a grass roots movement for that. The Columbus Day Storm has a name, why shouldn't that one, you know? And shouldn't this ancient tree get something named after it... why not name the storm that ended its old life? That's Grandma and the kids climbing on its enormous trunk.

We hiked around back in the woods a little and threw rocks into the creek (a favorite pasttime). We had stopped to get Cameron some new shoes after major drama in the morning before school because suddenly, all the old ones were too small... and that was just not good timing on my part - the new shoes lasted all of 4.8 minutes before they were covered in mud. Oh, well.

P.S. Did I mention I've put at least 15 pine cones through the wash since that day?

No comments: