Elie turned 5 years old yesterday! I have a more difficult time accepting my kids getting older than I do myself! Five is a big year. I realized Elie thought she was going to Kindergarten the day after her 5th birthday when she said something to Tyler about it. It was hard to explain that all the fun things we've told her about being 5 years old don't happen immediately.
Elie is going to be Cinderella for Halloween, and she decided she'd also like a Cinderella birthday party. How long have I been waiting to do a princess party!!??
(There's only so many times I can come up with different Spongebob party ideas!)
Still, my birthday mojo was off this week. Our sweet kitty, Pepper, hasn't come home in 5 days and I'm so worried about her and so not wanting to have that conversation with the kids. We've been so busy this week that we haven't been home much and they haven't really noticed she's gone yet - if they have noticed they assume she's just not around at that moment. But that's another reason my mojo is off....too busy.... I feel like I've boarded a volunteer train and I can't get off. I have such a hard time finding a balance between wanting to help, but not wanting to give my life away. It seems like the more I volunteer, the more people ask of me - it's a vicious circle. It's not just that, though - with both boys on separate soccer teams, both boys in separate tumbling classes, both boys in scouts, and Elie in 2 dance classes - and NOT ONE of those activities occurring at the same time or place, this fall has felt like automatic pilot bouncing from one practice/game/meeting to the next non-stop. Anyway.... back to the birthday girl....

I still think Elie had a great birthday party....

She wore her Cinderella dress all day, even to the boys' teacher conferences (which were both positive - whoo hoo!). Both grandmas called to wish her a Happy Birthday, her dentist sent her a birthday email, and after my friend, Nissa, dropped by unexpectedly with a gift for her, she said "Everyone is calling me and emailing me and giving me presents! I feel so special!" During party prep she told me she thought she should wait on the stairs while the guests arrived so she could walk down just like a real princess. So we made a grand entrance for her and she was just glowing with excitement.

She made sure to point out her special decorations to Uncle Jerrod and anyone else who would listen. She opened her gifts and got just what she wanted (she made sure of that by telling Aunt Kerri that if the present she had gotten her was NOT the hello kitty squinkie dispenser from Costco, then it was NOT what she wanted)...... (quality parenting on display there, huh??)

After the party was over she told me it was the best day ever and asked me if it was a dream. When I said no, she said, "Yay! I'm FIVE! And... I'm a lady with 10 bucks!"
Doesn't she just look older? Her first words to me the morning after..... "Hi. I'm five."
No comments:
Post a Comment