It was a very sweet reunion when we got to go pick Cameron up from camp. As all the waiting parents watch the end of the last campfire, the counselors reveal their real names and then dismiss the campers who all come running over into waiting arms. I hugged Cameron as hard as I could only to realize these other two children were hanging off each of his legs....
He talked nonstop for two hours about every cool thing he had done. He said all the right things - when Tyler said next year he wants him to come to the fair, Cameron replied, "well, I think I'd rather go to camp." When Ronny asked if he missed his new 3DS or video games he said, "not at ALL!" I couldn't stop thinking to myself how old he looked to me - it seemed like he'd grown a year in just a week. There were little marks and scratches on his legs (probably from hiking) and I realized that I had no idea how they had gotten there.... I've known where EVERY little scratch has come from his entire life! You know that feeling you have when you go to the hospital to have another baby and you come home and all of a sudden your toddler seems like a GIANT? That's the feeling I had. He is much older in my eyes than he was a few weeks ago. I knew camp was a growing experience for him - but as happens so often in parenting - it also was for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment