Thursday, February 11, 2010

Olympic surprise


The Winter Olympics are starting! I especially love the Winter Olympics..... I think I like the events better, plus you're already inside due to the season so you might as well watch the games. It was during the last Winter Olympics that I found out I was pregnant with Elie. I think from here on out I will always associate that moment with the Olympics - you know how your brain does that? It's not always that a life changing event comes so unexpectedly - and especially the positive ones.

I remember that day so well. We had only celebrated Tyler's 1st birthday a few weeks before, but strange things were happening to my body. Things that had only ever happened to me before when I was pregnant. I gagged on my toothbrush in the mornings, I found myself crying at stupid things - like the medal count. Seriously. Not the touching, dramatic stories of the athletes and their road to victory - but when the sportscasters were counting which countries had the most medals. I remember saying to Ronny - jokingly "Geez, if I didn't know better, I'd think I was pregnant!" I was still working part time and Ronny stayed home that morning with a sick Cameron. I ran to the drugstore after work feeling silly, but with a kind of a nagging "mmmmm.... I better do this."

Back at home, still in the bathroom, reading the test, my first words were, "Holy Shit." That makes me laugh now. With my 1st pregnancy my first words were "Yay, thank you, hooray, etc."; with my 2nd my first words were "yeah, I figured. Cool."; and my 3rd, "Holy Shit."

I came out to the kitchen where Ronny was, silently showed him the test, and said "it says positive." Ronny (I kid you not) looked at me and said, "I gotta go to work" and walked out of the house. I was in complete shock (as I'm sure was my sweet hubby because he's not that insensitive normally, I promise). I didn't know what to do. I don't know how long I stood there, but eventually I called the doctor's office and told them I thought I was pregnant with an IUD and what do I do now? They told me to come up immediately and so I called my mom and as I was standing by the door (still unable to register the whole thing) Cameron - who was barely 3 at the time - came up to me and said, "Mom, did you know you have a baby in your tummy? It's going to be here soon." This really freaked me out, because I honestly don't think he had any perception of what was going on - in fact, there hadn't been that many words spoken aloud and he was just laying on the couch watching TV. I still think a higher power had him say those words to me because they caused me to come out of my shock and back to reality.

After I came home from the hospital that Friday to get blood work done, they still hadn't removed the IUD and they couldn't tell me much more about whether it was an ectopic pregnancy or not, etc. until I went to my OB the following Monday. So I had the whole weekend to worry with my thoughts. Am I pregnant or not? How do I feel if I am? What if I am and I lose it? (which I was told was the most likely scenario) Here's this surprise pregnancy and you're not sure if you're ready for it - but then think about losing it and that's devastating. I was so conflicted.

Of course, you all know the ending. Surprise pregnancy, surprise gender, surprise surprise! I couldn't imagine life now without this beautiful person. I'm thankful everyday that it all happened the way it did. It makes for a great story.
Anyway - all this while I watched the figure skaters.

No comments: