Sunday, November 1, 2009

A SUPERfun MARIO Halloween


I didn't think I'd get another year of "theme" costumes - I thought the kids were getting too old to go along with my ideas. I was happily surprised when they came up with the Super Mario theme on their own. Tyler wanted to be Mario, Cameron decided that since Luigi is taller than Mario he should be Luigi - which is great because Tyler finally gets a chance to play the main character. Elie, of course, said she would be Princess Peach - and she makes a great Princess Peach.... sweet, demure, but ready to kick some butt if need be.

Our 3 day Halloween marathon of events kicked off Thursday night with "pumpkin night" at Tyler's preschool. The kids all got to carve their own pumpkins and run around like crazy. The snacks were festive, the kids got treat bags, and it was a very fun time.




The next morning Tyler, Elie, and I joined the whole class for a field trip to sing fall songs to the people at the assisted living home in Seaside. Elie (who is not a member of the class yet) surprised me by being so confident. She sat through the songs she didn't know - but when the teacher said the ABC song was next, Elie's face lit up like a candle and she belted it out louder than most in the class - so cute! Tyler did an excellent job and joined me in wishing all the grandma's and grandpa's Happy Halloween afterward.

After a half hour "layover" at home, I was running off to Cameron's class party. I signed up to be the room mom again this year in charge of parties, so I'm hoping it was a fun party - I think it was. We were a little rushed for time, but the kids were able to complete everything so it worked out OK. We're already into the phase of "no pictures, mom" with Cameron - so this is the best I could do....
After school I whisked all 3 kids up to the doc's to get H1N1 flu mist vaccines and called it a day. The next morning was Halloween and we started it off with the last soccer game of the season. Cameron scored a goal and listened well to his coaches and we didn't get rained on - about as successful as we could hope for! We rushed from the game to the country club to meet up with Grandma Mac, Tyler, and Elie who were already partying with Jolly Molly the clown.
After winning best costume prizes and getting faces painted there, we rushed to a double birthday party for some of our friends. We decided to skip the Halloween carnival in Seaside to enjoy a 3 hour "layover" at our house before the trick or treating began....
About 4 houses in, Elie looked up at me and said, "I loooove this Halloween stuff!"





I asked the kids this morning what they're favorite part of Halloween was. Cameron decided the best part for him was when he got to trick or treat his teacher's house. Tyler said trick or treating was the best part. Elie said getting the bubble gum was the best part. As I type this, it's 9:45 am and my children are eating candy.... and I don't care! For the record, I vote daylight savings should always start the morning after Halloween.

No comments: